Saturday, August 29, 2026

Do you know how to Self-Care?

Ok lets start a bit technical...

 WHO’s defines self-care as: 

“The ability of individuals, families and communities to promote health, prevent disease, maintain health, and cope with illness and disability with or without the support of a health-care provider” 
The Global Self-Care Federation describes it saying "Self-care is the practice of individuals looking after their own health using the knowledge and information available to them. It is a decision-making process that empowers individuals to look after their own health efficiently and conveniently, in collaboration with health and social care professionals as needed." 
I like these definitions because they each highlight how important self-care truly is. Caring for oneself can actually prevent diseases and it is an active choice each time. I know the term is very tossed around these days but I thinks that's because the state of our world right now calls for everyone to do whatever they can for themselves. Now I myself am rather new to the wonders of self-care. I had no idea just how many ways there is to care for myself and I had no idea what I really needed. My childhood was full of nonstop stressors and everyday that stress would push me closer and closer towards a full body shutdown. I mean my body was in pain everyday, I had constant headaches, no energy, and just a overall hate for life. And believe it or not I had no idea these things were happening. Once I began finding ways to care for and prioritize myself I saw just how bad it was. Recently I've been researching more ways to take care of myself and I thought to myself, "The people must know my findings." Sooo I say all this to say here are a few ways you may or may not have thought about to choose self-care. 

Self-Care 101:

  • Yoga
  • Journaling-Junk journaling-Scrapbooking
  • Skincare
  • Meditation
  • Make your comfort food
  • Massage yourself or get a massage
  • Volunteer
  • Have a game night
  • Watch your favorite films
  • Get a sweet treat
  • Do a craft
  • Do a puzzle
  • Everything shower/bath
  • Take probiotics and vitamins
  • Do something poorly and be okay with that
  • Practice replacing negative thoughts
  • Limit social media time
  • Listen to an audiobook
  • Practice setting boundaries with yourself and others
  • Accept help where you need it
  • Change up your environment
  • Go somewhere new
  • Create support systems with people
  • Self-reflect
  • Join a community garden
  • Stargaze
  • Hydrate

I understand these might sound trivial but I swear if you make the choice to choose yourself as often as you can, you will feel a difference. Now of course self-care is different for everyone. If none of these suggestions speak to you that is alright. I simply ask that you find a way to take time and care for yourself. If anyone has any more suggestions feel free to comment...I'm also still taking notes. 
I would highly recommend scrolling through this website.
 https://www.selfcarefederation.org/what-is-self-care  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you know how to Self-Care?

Ok lets start a bit technical...  WHO’s defines self-care as:  “The ability of individuals, families and communities to promote health, prev...